Rather than having one neighborhood-wide potluck this year, we plan to have smaller parties in each cluster this October. Watch for info from your Block Captain, and let them know if you’d like to host it!
Given recent catastrophic wildfire losses and the projections that the hazard will increase as our climate becomes hotter and drier, we need to focus on reducing fire risks in Blue Rock!
• To see what you can do: http://www.firesafemarin.org/preparedness. Consider signing up for their newsletter.
• Take care of your own property, including your street frontage, even if it’s outside your fence. Several of us surveyed Blue Rock with the Fire Marshall and there is work to do! Offer to help your neighbors, or bring properties you think need work to the attention of Fire Marshall Ruben Martin
• Consider removing particularly fire-prone plants including broom, juniper, eucalyptus, acacia, bamboo and pine.
• Is your fire insurance up-to-date?
Blue Rock needs a volunteer to attend the CERT training at College of Marin on October 20-21. https://readymarin.org/cert/ The ReadyMarin calendar shows the class as full because the entire class has been reserved for the Twin Cities NRGs. Contact email@example.com for help in registering. Blue Rock NRG will pay your fee.
• PREPARE by reviewing https://readymarin.org/plan-prepare/.
See Plan & Prepare section. Prepare a “Grab & Go Backpack” and a “Ten Minute List”.
• HARDEN YOUR HOME by creating Defensible Space http://www.firesafemarin.org/preparedness
• REGISTER with AlertMarin to receive emergency notifications by email, text and phone call https://www.marinsheriff.org/services/emergency-services/alert-marin
• PARTICIPATE IN EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS DRILL on November 4, 2018 by displaying your “OK/HELP” sign. Can print from Resources page (two sides), preferably on bright yellow paper and slipped into a sheet protector
• VERIFY/confirm your current CONTACT INFO with your Block Captain
• EVACUATION: Identify your pedestrian route, destination, what to take, steps to take at home before you leave and family meet-up plans
• FIRE EXTINGUISHERS, SMOKE ALARMS, INSURANCE COVERAGE: review!
• VOLUNTEER for Block Captain, Steering Committee, Incident Command or Medical Team
• ATTEND Blue Rock NRG meetings, usually held on the 1st Wednesday of the month, 7-8:15PM, 250 Doherty Drive. Confirm on the website.
• ATTEND TWIN CITIES DISASTER PREPAREDNESS COMMITTEE monthly meetings on the 2nd Monday, 9-10AM, 250 Doherty Drive, Larkspur
• Emergency radio stations: 740, 810, 1330
• CERT training. Sign up with a friend
• DONATE for laminating materials, medical supplies, mailings, batteries, etc. Send checks to Blue Rock NRG, c/o Jeanette Thorson, 16 Cedar Ave, Larkspur, CA 94939